In a press release from the Tim Michels for governor Campaign, it was announced that the Democrat Party of Wisconsin is challenging his nomination papers. Here is the Text of his Press release:
Statement From Tim Michels Regarding Frivolous Elections Complaint
Wisconsin Democrats Make Desperate Attempt to Keep Tim Michels Off the Ballot
WEST ALLIS, Wisc. – Today, Wisconsin businessman, outsider, and candidate for Governor of Wisconsin Tim Michels released the following statement in response to a frivolous elections complaint filed over the weekend at the Wisconsin Elections Commission:
“Tony Evers and his insider allies are feverishly working to keep me from beating him in November. It comes as no surprise that they launched a frivolous complaint in an attempt to keep me off the ballot, just days after I was endorsed by President Trump. They will not succeed. Moreover, none of this sideshow will distract our campaign from taking the fight directly to Tony Evers. Tony Evers shut down Wisconsin businesses. He shut down Wisconsin schools. He shut down Wisconsin churches. He and his allies will not shut down our surging campaign to provide executive leadership and get Wisconsin back on the right track.”
The Michels campaign will vigorously defend itself before the Wisconsin Elections Commission when it meets on Friday.
“The Michels campaign submitted 4,000 signatures, the maximum allowed by law, which were obtained by staff and volunteers from across the state, for review. The WEC staff validated 3,861 of them, finding only 139 signatures to have any deficiency. Tim Michels’ home, legal residence, voting address, acceptable mailing address and the address displayed in all online navigational maps, has been the same house in Waukesha County since 2008, despite any petty insider political mudslinging attempting to say otherwise,” said Michels Campaign Manager Patrick McNulty. “Tim Michels is a threat to the insider network that runs Madison, but this petty and frivolous complaint will not distract our campaign in any way.”
- The nomination paper form on the Michels campaign website accurately listed Tim Michels’ physical address in the Municipality of the Village of Chenequa without mentioning the nuance that the mailing address is in the Hartland ZIP Code – that is the sole basis for this frivolous complaint.
- On every signature form submitted by the Michels campaign, there was a uniform PO Box mailing return address for the campaign headquarters, so all forms submitted were consistent and complete.
- Attempted ballot suppression based on a difference between physical and mailing address is nothing new. It has been tried against other campaigns, both partisan and non-partisan, in the past and has been shot down every time.
- The Democratic Party of Wisconsin, along with their allies, attorneys affiliated with Law Forward, a left-wing special interest law firm, have filed a frivolous complaint with the Wisconsin Elections Commission (WEC) against the Michels campaign, alleging that some of our nomination papers listed the physical address, rather than the mailing address, for the candidate.
- Only days after Tim Michels entered the race, Tony Evers’ DC Democratic allies, including President Joe Biden, announced they would be spending more than $20 million to prop up Evers and defeat Tim Michels.
- With Tim Michels issuing his Election Integrity Blueprint last month, it is not surprising it would make him a target for frivolous complaints that would put the campaign in front of the Wisconsin Elections Commission, a body he wants dismantled.
- Tim will be on the ballot to defeat Governor Evers in November.